Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Plums: better than sand

Plum haiku:

Plums are delicious
They are merely youthful prunes
Still, plums are better


Only once in my life have I regretted biting into a plum. I blame myself for that experience, too, as the plum was too old to adequately be enjoyed; I should have respected its age before attempting to use it for vitamins.
Unless one has a plum tree, however, finding the most delectable, non-puny plums can be an exciting challenge, especially at mediocre chain grocery stories. (I’ve already asked for a plum tree from my parents as a graduation gift – keeping my fingers crossed!!!!!)
Often I have to cradle three or four plums in my palm before finding one I seek to purchase, not unlike how yogurt cups nurture its content. The obstacle of finding the right plums may enhance its later pleasure of consumption, though.
The nutritional benefits of plums are prominent. Not only do they provide one substantial Vitamin C intake, they also promote regular bowels, especially when in the form of a prune.
Sadly, prunes are – for most, it seems – unappetizing to the naked eye, making them not a largely sought after snack. Also because prunes are pregnant with raisins. Sort of PIT-itful, I guess. (this is a pun in that plums have large pits at that core that should not be digested, unless you are me at seven and do so accidentally, which spurs your frightened mother to call your pediatrician only to have him reassure her that it will be removed naturally through the your bowels.)

Don't stay in the bath too long.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is just to say

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am proud to say I like prunes. I don't mind the world knowing how much I enjoy these raisins on steroids. Sign me up as a prune lover........

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

web site hit counter