Friday, June 13, 2008

True Life: I live off frozen food

Editor's note: This is a guest entry from a real-life Midwestern career-lady who will eat anything on a biscuit and loves cutsypie Pomeranian pups. We thank her for sharing this riveting account.


When people come to my house, they inevitably ask me when was the last time I used my stove or how many times has it ever been turned on.

My standard reply is that the last time I turned the stove on it filled my kitchen with smoke. I can count on one hand the number of times I have turned it on in the last nine years.

You see, anyone who knows me can tell you I have no desire to even own a stove. It neatly fills what would be a dandy-sized hole in my kitchen. I have thought a recliner or even a foosball table would be a better fit in that space.

The flat-out truth is I am single and I see no fun or challenge in attempting to conjure up some dish with which I will be stuck eating for days -- until leftovers are coming out of my ears.

Yes, I know you can freeze leftovers and save them until the next craving hits, but my freezer is overstocked with the single woman's best kitchen tool: The frozen dinner.

If there is such a thing as being the gourmet connoisseur of frozen dinners, I just might qualify. Without hesitation, I can tell you my favorite is just about anything Stouffer's. Their lasagna is as close to my own mother's as any I have ever encountered. It is several layers with plenty of ricotta, ground beef and very tasty tomato sauce. Stouffer's meatloaf, barbecued chicken and fettuccini alfredo are also above normal frozen food standards.

For a quick, forkless meal on-the-go, you cannot go wrong with Totino's Pizza Rolls or a Hot Pocket. I prefer the supreme pizza rolls because onions and green peppers are thrown into the bite-size creatures giving them some added zest. Taco Hot Pockets are my choice among the many varieties in the frozen food case. The hamburger is spicy and there's plenty of cheese which is always a plus in my book.

And what's for dessert? What else but a freezer's best friend: Ice cream. Anything with cookie dough, peanut butter or caramel is on my favorite's list and I could eat several pints of Ben & Jerry's Cinnamon Roll in one sitting. You have never tasted so much cinnamon squished into one small container in your life.

So this is my summary of a single woman's diet. A woman who is obviously not overly health conscious and just wants to enjoy some of the finer things found in a freezer.

1 Comments:

Blogger jen said...

My roomate uses Stouffer's lasagna as a dip for low-fat sour cream and onion Pringles for dinner most nights of the week. She'll probably outlive me even though I eat mostly organic homemade dishes, because that's just how life is.

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

web site hit counter