Monday, August 14, 2006

Ethnographic study: Juice in Richmond, Ind.

This week I've the pleasure to reside at my home in the completely unimpressive Richmond, Indiana. Unimpressive unless, of course, you seek to consume mass amounts of fast food, are into sharp socioeconomic class division or thrive in mediocre, one-story malls.
At any rate, upon walking the best mutt in the world, Sophie Lophie, in my particular residential area, I came upon a sight unprecendented in these parts.

Hark!:



Yes, what you're seeing there is a Wal-Mart bag filled with presumably unopened boxes of Juicy-Juice, probably Fruit Punch flavored as indicated from the barely-visible cartons.
Now, in some places, say, the Indiana University-Bloomington campus, such a vision would not seem so bizzare. I would make the claim that it would be uncommon for something like juice on a street sign to NOT be present. In Richmond, Ind, however, in a neighborhood consisting predominantly of middle-class senior citizens, I was puzzled, but delightfully so.

The sign is at least 10 feet high, thus suggesting that a person being had to exert some pretty intense effort into placing it.

Well.

I appreciate that effort. And so does Richmond.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

web site hit counter