Thursday, April 03, 2008

My meat ignorance, Part II

What is pastrami and why did I buy it? These questions will haunt me for the rest of my life.

I’m pretty new on the deli meat scene. Walking up to a deli counter and asking for a pre-determined weight of something is still a weird experience in my book. I decided it was time to veer from the safe and narrow turkey path. No, not to smoked turkey, but to…. pastrami?!

It looked like a real meat’s meat. Ya know? But it wins the award for meat that’s actual deliciousness is inversely proportional to how delicious it appears. It looks really delicious. Need I say more, math majors?

I still don’t really understand what it is. I decided it must be cut from the least delicious part of the animal. (the shoulder?) Dictionary.com says it’s “a brisket of beef that has been cured in a mixture of garlic, peppercorns, sugar, coriander seeds, etc., then smoked before cooking.” That sounds exactly how I like my women. And my meat.

But I guess in life we just don’t know what we want.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Teibs said...

You really oughta take a cruise to corned beef town. It's a rich man's pastrami and its not really what it sounds like...there's no corn.

12:39 AM  
Blogger Joanna said...

I'm familiar with corned beef. I'm going back to turkey this week after the pastrami misfire.

11:02 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

In related news, you could have called this series "meatnorance."

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

web site hit counter