Saturday, March 15, 2008

Jamaican me hungry

I think it’s high time we took pause for a moment to think about something that’s really been on my heart and mind recently—Jamaican meat pies.

I’m always a little ashamed of my strolls down the frozen food aisle. They say that, when shopping, you should stay around the edge of the grocery store in the produce and deli sections, avoiding the processed foods. But we live in this modern age of pre prepped food; it would be a slap in the face to progress if I ignored that and prepared meals from scratch. Plus I’m lazy.

I admit a lot of the stuff you find in the frozen section is frightening and/or over priced. I usually just come away with large amounts of bagel bites and edamame. But in an attempt to branch out I discovered frozen Jamaican meat pies from a company called Tower Isle, apparently “a leading mass producer of Jamaican patties,” according to Gabriella Gershenson of the New York Press.

These delicious little golden crescents are fabulous. The crusts are flaky and the meat tastes real and not pretend. When you bite into one, out comes a puff of steam and the faint sound of reggae. Gimme that blood clot beef turnover!

With the exception of hot pockets, my experience with entrapped meat has been generally positive.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cara said...

Try dipping that bad boy into some sour cream. Oh man...you won't be sorry.

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the exotic venture outside of the norm, vizavie (that was not spelled correctly) Jamaican meat wrappings) oh, and hi michelle!! I miss you!!! come comment on my blog and say hello or email me or something!!

2:27 PM  
Blogger Teibs said...

that sour cream idea scares me, but Jamaican meat is yummy yum. I'm happy to see bagel bites getting some love in print.

10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

web site hit counter