Thursday, March 20, 2008

Dr. TastiBerry or how I learned to stop worrying and love elitist ice cream

Back in the 90's* Ben & Jerry's was pretty fancy. Skeptics questioned: Do we really need this many objects in our dessert? The people answered: Yes. And it was expensive at more than 5 bucks a pint. Today I can buy my fair share of Oatmeal Cookie Chunk and Chubby Hubby at the corner bodega in Queens. It's pretty accessible, still a little overpriced, but I think I can even swing a pint for less than a 5 spot nowadays.

Our obsession with ice cream toppings or "mix-ins" was furthered with the gimmicky Cold Stone Creamery. Proving that ice cream consumers like their already soft ice cream mashed up more by a stranger before consumption.

And then America decided it was hip to be healthy. And then I came to New York where private-school-produced-prissy-pants dragged me to hip low calorie! yogurt joints and I reluctantly dragged along the sidewalk willingly.

My first experience with this was Tasti-D-Lite. Health-wise, I get the impression it's like eating air or Tic Tacs. And they have a long list of crazy exotic flavors like White Russian and Marzipan.

I thought this froyo was pretty hoighty toighty, but oh man... it gets worse.

"Have you heard of Pinkberry?"
"Actually yes. From 'The Hills.'"

Tasti-D-Lite is NYC based and PinkBerry is LA. Analysts attribute this rift as a likely factor in the deaths of Tupac and the Notorious B.I.G.

This frozen dessert is quite controversial. I mentioned Pinkberry to a friend yesterday and he pronounced his distaste for the stuff using many an F word. My first Pinkberry was with coworkers who insisted I try it at lunch. They spoke of it as some kind of orgasmic low-calorie miracle cure for AIDS. My immediate reaction after eating it: That was my entire lunch?

And also, what is it? No one can tell you. I'm only reminded of a 1992 Saturday Night Live sketch, "That's Not Yogurt" with Victoria Jackson and Kevin Nealon. They don't know what they're eating, they only know it's not yogurt.

I hate to mention the elephant in the room but the name somehow sounds a little sexual. An informal G-chat survey proves I'm not the only one who thinks this.

*OK I know it was founded in 1978, but we're talking about the cultural zeitgeist and I'm only 23!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm thrilled you've given ice cream it's proper space here. I still can't tell what ice cream is your favorite. For me, Sir Ben and Sir Jerry (Yeah, they're knights) are tops. I'll take that pint over that overrated pink berry (totally sexual, great call) any day. Did i mention sir ben and sir jerry use MY brownies?

11:37 AM  
Blogger jen said...

I was into Tasti-D-Lite for a bit. Then I realized I was done with low fat anything. I once let a cup of it "melt" on my kitchen table and it turned into a big pile of foam. Weird.

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

web site hit counter